Disclaimer: I will apologize now for the amount of pictures including our toilet. I’m not sure how else to photograph our shiny new bathroom without having it in make an appearance or two. I assure you, it has been scrubbed and was at its best for todays shoot!
The master/main bathroom project! We debated on doing this room of the house until we really knew what we wanted from the space, and the house really. Ideally, in a perfect world I would have ripped it out, and turned it into two smaller bathrooms, one for the kids, one for us. Of course, the time did not allow for a full on renovation, we were getting married in a month after all. (And since, we have gotten married!! Yay for my new Handyman Hero Husband!!)
So instead, I thought fine, I will put in a new vanity and counter top, re-tile around the bathtub and shower, and repaint the last of the yellow that was through out the house. Ha! This is where my re-thought out BUDGET friendly plan took over. We would do a quick refresh, brighten up the space, and organize it to make things smoother in the mornings for our busy family of 4.
We started by ripping out the bull nosing around the windows. We’re almost completely changed over from bull-nosing to trim now! Next we tore down the towel bar, and hand towel rings, that were mounted on routered mdf boards, and glued to the drywall (WHY?!).
Obviously that left a bit of mess, so we went around filling in holes in the drywall, and patching the holes and missing drywall before paint.
Being on a budget means Benjamin Moore mis-tints for the win. I had a gallon of mis-tint turned ‘Stormy Monday’ (2112-50) from another project, in my favourite Benjamin Moore product, Regal Ulti-Matte ready to go! For the trim, we still had some of my go-to white ‘Chantilly Lace’ (OC-65) in semi gloss left over from a previous make over.
Side note: Stormy Monday is actually the shade lighter than ‘Stone’ which is in my living room – Neat!
We framed in the window, and added a faux-wood blind for privacy. I have priced around, and the lowest price I could find (beside mis-cuts) was from Bouclair. And its even better when they’re having their 25% off sale! I put in an orchid for a pop of colour!
We are definitely trying to become a more organized family, and so, organizers I went looking for! I went to the Dollarama where I scored 3 glass canisters, an olive oil dispenser (that we use now for mouth wash), mouth wash shooter cups, and a cute tray for on the counter.
I also found some clear drawer containers, and put them to good use in our catch all top drawer. They must be miracle workers, because even after a month +, it still looks like this! And it gets better, I bought all of this for under 15 bucks!
The shelves above the bathtub were just added decoratively, but combined for extra storage as well. I found some awesome fish prints from Home Sense, candles from Bouclair, and went from there adding the basket, for extra TP, bubble bath, a plant and of course, lots of extra towels and face cloths!
We saved even more money by reusing the old towel bars and rings we took down. B removed them from the mdf and rehung them by themselves. They were white, which popped well on the Stormy Monday, and they were free so I was happy! The print came from a terrific blogger, Chelsea whose blog, and printable you can find here. And the towels, were wedding gifts from hubbys Grandma! How thoughtful and practical!
It wasn’t in the budget to change the counter top, so I worked with it! Same went with the vanity, which matches the cabinets in the kitchen. Sometimes its just best to work with what you have, especially if its in good shape, like our still are. Its amazing what just changing out the hardware will do!
The next cost savings came in the way of the mirror, we used the existing frameless mirror, which I had B frame up while he was doing the windows. We changed out the small 3 bulb light, to a bigger 6 bulb one. (Much better for putting my face on in the morning! Hehe!) We switched out a yellow, teal and brown shower curtain for a crisp white one, with new brushed nickel hooks, to match the hardware on the cabinets, the light and the covers on the canisters.
I think I can finally say that we’re done in there. I am truly happy with how everything turned out, we stayed on budget and it really made a huge impact on the space. I will leave you with a couple more pictures, because I love it!
Until next time!